Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The NBA Final Eight

Who I'm Rooting for, from least to most.


8.  L.A. LAKERS - They're the Lakers.  Kobe Bryant is not allowed to tie Michael Jordan's ring-count.  Nothing against true fans like Jack Nicholson or Penny Marshall, but I can't foresee me ever wanting the Lakers to win a playoff game again.

7.  BOSTON CELTICS - I like Rajon Rondo, I like Ray Allen, I like Paul Pierce, I like Doc Rivers, I like Danny Ainge, but Kevin Garnett has become such a dirty player that I like watching him lose more.  He got his ring, but time for that sun to set.

6.  L.A. CLIPPERS - They're fun to watch in spurts, but if you watch too long, you notice all the flopping that Chris Paul and Blake Griffin do.

5.  PHILADELPHIA 76ERS - They're a nice underdog story, but no one really wants an 8th seed to win the whole thing. I mean, I would have taken it if the Jazz had done it, but if they can't do it, no one can!  But I am happy for Andre Iguodala and company for tasting playoff success.

4.  MIAMI HEAT - Losing Chris Bosh has humbled this team a bit, and I don't dislike LeBron James or Dwyane Wade, but it really is a Two-Man show with guest stars in the other three spots on the floor.  I'd be happy with them in the Finals again.  And to lose the Finals again.  Unless they're in the Finals with an LA team.

3.  SAN ANTONIO SPURS - I can't help but respect this team, respect the roster moves they've made, respect the way Tim Duncan is playing within his abilities, the way Tony Parker's had an MVP season, the way Poppovich coaches.  Still hate Ginobili's flopping, but they have a good culture down there.

2.  INDIANA PACERS - I feel like the Jazz are one piece away from being the Pacers.  They don't have an MVP candidate on the team but they do have some All-Star reserves, they play as a team, and they compliemnt each other.  Haven't watched them much, but I like them more as I see them play.  Plus it'd be hilarious to have Reggie Miller not win a ring as a Pacer, but Kyrylo Fesenko does.

1.  OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER - Feels like it's their year.  It kills me they're not in Seattle any more, but Kevin Durant is to the 2010's what Tim Duncan was to the 2000's.  The franchise had some crappy drafts (Saer Sene?  Johan Petro?) but when they got KD and Russell Westbrook and James Harden, and then got coach Scott Brooks, they were finally able to build something up.

No comments: