Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Order of Preference for the Utah Sports Guys

1.  David Locke
2.  David James
3.  Matt Harpring (radio Harpring > TV Harpring)
4.  Phil Johnson
5.  Tony Parks
6.  Jake Scott
7.  Craig Bolerjack
8.  Sean O'Connell (currently unemployed)
9.  Patrick Kinahan
10. Spence Checketts
11. Ben Bagley (currently unemployed)
12. Kyle Gunther (currently unemployed)
13. Jan Jorgensen (currently unemployed)
14. Hans Olsen
15. Tom Nissalke
16. Scott Garrard
17. Bill Riley
18. Ferg
19. Lloyd
20. Will
21. Austin
22. Someone I'm forgetting
23. Steve Brown
24. Someone else I'm forgetting
25. Gordon Monson

I listened to parts of all the shows on 1280 today, and it hit me that The Sports Leader has put Monson back in the prime spot in its lineup.  I could barely listen, even though he and Spence were interviewing Randy Rigby.  It bothers me that David Locke was in that spot, and he was so good at it, and now it's taken a major step down.

And some of the staffing choices seem suspect.  Scotty G's the man right now, and everyone who kept a job was someone who worked with Scotty during his years at 1280, with the exception of Tony Parks.  Ben Bagley was at 1320 through the dark Rickard years, and now he's ousted.  Hans, OC, Jan and Kyle were all 1280 hires after Scotty G left, and while Hans landed at 700, those other three are still out of work.

And if it was someone new in the prime spot, say they'd hired Brian T. Smith or Jody Genessy or Rick Aaron to be Spence's co-host, I could dig that.  But Monson being on the Jazz flagship, well, he'd have been my last choice.  So with fewer listening options in the afternoon, I'll probably listen to music more on my drive home.

If Locke won't do it, man, Spence & Harpring would have been awesome.


P.S. The Jake Scott-Tony Parks teaming is one I love. And even though both are talented, part of it might be they haven't really worked together before.  Everyone else has worked with everyone else for years.

1 comment:

RoDawg said...

I don't usually post on this things but here it goes. I agree whole heartedly, FIRE MONSON, that guy makes me change the statio faster than anyone else. As a Die Hard cougar fan it pains me that I really enjoy Bill Riley, but adding a healthy dose of Hans will definitely keep me from having to listen to Monson.