Monday, December 8, 2008

Fantasy Football d. Real NFL

As my fantasy football season winds down, with my 7-7 team just out of the playoffs (we had a lot of 7-7 teams), I realize now in the final two weeks that I'm not really up how the NFL teams are doing as I usually would be. Part of it is due to the death of NFL Primetime. I know The Blitz is similar, but it's just not the same. I'd much rather watch Chris Berman and Tom Jackson recap the day than Bob Costas, Keith Olbermann and Chris Collinsworth. (I love Costas, but his true calling is play-by-play). Another factor is that I don't watch football before church, and this year my church goes from 2:00 to 5:00pm, and then you get home, you have dinner, so only if the Sunday night game is must-see do I see much of it. The main factor though, is my fantasy team.

I would check individual stats daily. I couldn't have told you before looking it up today what the Jaguars records is, but I can tell you David Garrard and Maurice Jones-Drew had slow starts before coming into their stat stride, and Matt Jones has been a high-and-low receiver for them. I can tell you new coach Mike Singletary didn't do much for Frank Gore's scoring. I can tell you Kyle Orton was a godsend before his injury, and that weeks before it happened, I knew Derek Anderson and Jon Kitna would wind up getting benched. Kurt Warner would be the MVP if the Cardinals had a better record. What is their record, again? I can tell you the Dolphins defense wound up being better than the Colts. The Cowboys had frustratingly inconsistant receiving. Tony Gonzalez is still a kick-butt tight-end.

My two favorite teams, the ones I really followed, sucked this year. That may have been another factor. The Seahawks will never be able to avenge losing in the worst officiated Super Bowl of all time, and the Raiders really need Al Davis to go away. My third team used to be the 49ers, but that's tapered off every year since Steve Young left, and now I don't really care. My fourth team is now my third team, e.g. whoever plays the Broncos that week. My fourth team is whoever goes undefeated, and then they need to win the Super Bowl, because I want someone to shut up the 1972 Dolphins once and for all. Can you picture Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, etc., publicly shipping champagne every time the last NBA team loses its 13th game, thus keeping their 70 win-team special?

No comments: